Thursday, November 27, 2008

fall festivities



We're going to barnaby's again for thanksgiving. It's kind of a tradition, which I hope is OK with him. We made 5 pumpkin pies. Mostly John made 5 pumpkin pies but then I got drafted to make some emergency crusts. The crusts turned out very good I think - the dough was nice and elastic and easy to roll out. I think the key is cold cold butter. The pies are dark because John uses molasses. They are also as fragrant as potpurri because John loves his baking spices, especially nutmeg. The mouth numbs as you eat these pies.

Here is a picture, a classic already, of L in the pumpkins at new seasons. For comparison, also the one from last year. Not such a deer in the headlights this year.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Sounds delicious and that child looks delicious. When when when are you coming? I so hope you're still planning on a trip. I can't wait for that baby/toddler to play with toddler/teenager. And to see you. And to see if John's in the mood to make pies in January.